Style Icons: Veronica Falls


Does anyone else like the band Veronica Falls? I'm seeing them live for the first time this weekend so I've been listening to them quite a bit lately and then last night I casually started Google image searching them and before I knew it I had fallen into a deep, deep, love for not only their music, but also their style choices.

For those who are unfamiliar with the band, Veronica Falls is a foursome from London that makes music evocative of classic '80s twee girl groups. They released their self-titled debut back in 2011 and earlier this year released the excellent follow up, Waiting For Something To Happen. If you love music that could be classified as catchy, jangly and poppy guitar-rock, I'd suggest giving them a listen. If you don't believe me, check out "My Heart Beats", a standout from the new record, to hear for yourself:

Did you just fall in love? You Did? Ok cool. For this post, I'm going to focus specifically on singer/guitarist, Roxanne Clifford's and bassist, Marion Herbain's outfits (sorry dudes, you guys look great too). 

The Peter Pan Collar: Here we have both Marion (left) and Roxanne sporting something I am currently obsessed with: the ever so scrumptious rounded peter pan collar. These collars just have a little something extra as compared to regular pointed collars. Whenever I wear one, I always feel like a mix between a cutesy schoolgirl and a glamorous '50s vixen. Below are two adorable vintage peter pan collar dresses that I can totally picture the VF girls in! If you search for "peter pan collar dress" or "peter pan collar top" on Etsy, you'll find loads of dresses and shirts that are so cute I could squeal.

(red dress via Wisdom Tooth, green dress via Ginghams Vintage) 

 Another option for getting this look is to simply buy a detachable collar that you can add to dresses, tops and sweaters that you already own! Again, everything seems to look better with a peter pan collar so this option is a good one if you're looking for the most peter pan bang for your buck. Buy The Dress has tons of detachable collars that I'm lusting over... I really need to get one of these for myself:
 

The Denim Jacket: The denim jacket is another outfit staple that the VF gals seem to be rocking frequently, and with good reason as I think that a classic denim jacket is one of those items that everyone should have in their closets. I love the way both Roxanne and Marion styled their denim jackets in the picture above. Pair yours with a black bodycon skirt and then add black cutout rocker boots to get Roxanne's look or choose a pink collared top and brown oxford brogues for a look inspired by Marion (not going to lie, my outfit right now was inspired by her look in this picture hehe). Perhaps you already own a denim jacket, but if not here are some cute ones for you to consider:

The Polka Pot Blouse: How cute does Roxanne look in this red and black polka dot blouse (paired under her denim jacket natch)? I'm obsessed with the color combo! I don't usually wear a lot of red, but I can't get over how well the red top works with the black polka dots. You can really pick any color of polka dotted blouses to achieve this look, but here are a few that I found with that color scheme:
 
(from top: blouses via Secrettreasuresvm, Rosetton, RewindYourMind)

There you have it my friends! Some ideas for getting you started on outfits inspired by Veronica Falls! If you really want to go all out with this look I'd also suggest red lipstick and swoopy, messy side bangs, but that's just me. 

Anyone else going to see Veronica Falls soon? Or saw them already? Let me know in the comments!

Have a great Wednesday! 
xoxo, Mariel   




 

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment